We now have opportunities to join our Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH).
We’ve already taken huge strides forward with our journey for an integrated approach to children’s health, education support and social care and now we’re ready to move on to the next stage in our development. As we move forward it’s vital that everything we do and every service we provide is delivered in a robust way and is in line with national standards and protocols.
You will be co-located with colleagues from Police, Education, Health, Housing, Drug & Alcohol Services and Early Help and take a key role in the development of the MASH service.
Social Workers are responsible for contributing to the multi-agency decision making process and will have considerable experience in Children’s Social Care. You will research, co-ordinate and analyse key information to enable joint decision making with colleagues within MASH to ensure that timely decisions are made to secure the most positive outcomes for children.
This role offers a unique professional development opportunity to draw upon your existing Children & Families and safeguarding knowledge whilst developing your skills in prioritising and analysing complex information. We are a close and supportive team and you will be well supported with regular supervision from experienced and motivated Assistant Team Managers.
We are inviting applications from suitably qualified and experienced Social Workers. You should be able to demonstrate substantial child protection experience, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, know how to support and challenge to effectively support practice improvement and have the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment.
This is an important and autonomous role for an experienced and motivated professional. If you have the background and experience to deliver in this exciting and challenging role, we want to hear from you.
Our transformation journey
Like all other local authorities we are experiencing an increase in demand. As an organisation we know our Children’s Services are on a rapid improvement journey which is why last year we started making big changes across the service to provide the best care for children and great conditions for our staff. This started with us recruiting an entirely new leadership team of experienced, forward thinking managers who are driving changes in the service and we aim to be one of the best Children’s Services in the country.
• Multi-million pound investment in staff and support
• Significant restructure creating smaller social worker teams
• New intuitive IT system to cut down on desk time and make mobile working the norm
• A separate 'Children Looked After' team to make sure we provide the best service for children in care
• High standards for management practice, support and supervision for staff
• Listening to our social workers by holding regular social work forums.
At the heart of it all is our desire to promote and cultivate a strong learning culture combined with outstanding leadership and supervision. Here is what you can expect to find when you arrive:
• Early help and community health practitioners co-located with our social workers, providing great working relationships
• Fantastic relationships with partner agencies such as the police and Swindon CCG
• Teams located within communities, providing a closer connection to the people we work with.
Our new offer to you
We recognise that getting the best outcomes for our Children means getting the best from you and we have listened to what our Social Workers most value.
As a result, we are delighted to launch our revised offer, to include:
• £3000 golden hello payment after 1 year service
• Retention payments of £2000 after completing 2 year’s service and a further £2000 after 3 year’s service
• Relocation allowance of up to £8,000 (eligibility criteria)
• Competitive salaries
• Free car parking at our central Swindon campus
• A career average revalued earnings (CARE) pension scheme
• 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays) rising to 31 days after 10 year’s service
• Leisure and Legal Services discounts
• Eating Out, Shopping and Entertainment discounts
• Flexible working
Your aspirations should be limitless and you will be as determined and passionate about Children’s Services as we are. As a local authority we will continuously drive forward improvements in our services and we want our Social Workers to be part of our transformation, contribute to improving the safeguarding of our children, and we will make sure you have the full support network and training to do it.
Our teams are ambitious and proactive and we are looking for people who will share that ambition and be a part of our journey.
Candidates must be fluent in the English language (as a requirement of Part 7 of the Immigration Act – for the effective performance of a customer-facing role).
Our commitment to your development
We are dedicated to ensuring that you can progress your continued professional development and access training and learning opportunities linked to the BASW competencies for career progression.
We have recently launched the Social Work & Leadership Academy. The Academy has been created to celebrate the best in professional practice in Social Work and Social Care Leadership. The Academy represents an opportunity for Swindon Borough Council to demonstrate how we support, develop and value the professional disciplines in Social Work and Social Care through a targeted framework of career development and learning opportunities.
View role profile