The Public Health department of Swindon Borough Council is undergoing a period of exciting change, focused on reducing harms and improving outcomes for individuals and the community. To facilitate this change we are seeking a dynamic professional to join our team and help to embed our vision of the future.
As a public health specialist you will have responsibility for identifying need, commissioning and procuring services to the community, managing multi-million pound contracts and liaising with a range of partners across the spectrum of public, private and voluntary sector.
Working with the wider team your experience will be instrumental in promoting health improvement and protection, by representing Public Health at agreed partnership events, using your specialist skills and knowledge for the benefit of the team, for example through supporting research, and supporting it at times of health emergencies. A key element of this particular specialist post is delivering substance misuse services to the local community and supporting the mental health co-morbidity agenda.
Knowledge and Experience
• Experience working in the field of public health or related area
• A good working knowledge of different aspects of public health
• Understanding of local government, NHS, public, voluntary and community sector
• Experience and working knowledge of the commissioning cycle and tendering process
• Experience in the commissioning, monitoring, delivery and evaluation of public health programmes
• Experience of project development and management
• Experience of developing and delivering training and / or community development programmes
• Experience of managing projects within resources
• Understanding of epidemiology and statistics, public health practice, health promotion, health economics and health care evaluation
• Where appropriate – has up to date knowledge of relevant legislation and guidance in relation to working with and the safeguarding of children/vulnerable adults
• Excellent ICT skills including the use of Microsoft applications and any relevant specialist systems
Our current benefits include:
• Flexible working
• 25 days + Bank holidays
• A career average revalued earnings (CARE) pension scheme
• Purchase of annual leave
• Leisure and Legal Services discounts
• Eating Out, Shopping and Entertainment discounts
Candidates must be fluent in the English language (as a requirement of Part 7 of the Immigration Act for the effective performance of a customer-facing role).
All applications for this position are being handled through NHS Jobs. Please visit the NHS Jobs website for application details. NHS Ref No: L73-F0065-21-9729